As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure.
A keto — low carb — gluten-free red-eye gravy recipe with ham and biscuits.
Country ham and redeye gravy is the perfect addition to a ketogenic diet. Especially served on the most divine keto drop biscuits.
This makes the most delicious low carb breakfast biscuit sandwiches, or the perfect quick and easy breakfast for dinner. It is fun recipe ideas like this, that make keto so fun and easy.
Our family has recently moved to the south, and I am embracing all the new food options. When I first heard of red eye gravy I knew I would have to recreate it keto style.
Before making a red eye gravy, make sure you pick up some delicious country ham. I have really enjoyed creating recipes for a blogging competition using Clifty Farms Country Ham.
Check out my other Clifty Farms Ham Recipes for inspiration:
Easy Keto Biscuit Mix
Biscuits have always been a favorite food of mine, and I never imagined I would find a keto-friendly replacement. The drop biscuit mix from Kawaii Treats and Eats was everything I remember loving about carby biscuits. I absolutely loved how easy this mix made this recipe.
Kawaii Treats and Eats drop biscuit mix made the most perfect meaty stuffed keto breakfast biscuits, and they were so easy. The biscuits held together perfect even filled with all of this ham.
My hubby even said that these biscuits reminded him of the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster. In my opinion, the Red Lobster biscuits are the holy grail of all biscuits, so I am checking a big win for this unsolicited compliment. I am so thrilled to have this recipe for a keto diet biscuit substitution, and we will always keep this mix on hand.
I love that this biscuit mix is an effortless base to transform into cheesy and flavorful keto biscuit perfection.
Using a biscuit mix for a recipe may come as an unpopular choice, however, I believe that it is easy options like this that make keto sustainable.
Each one of the biscuits contains 2 net carbs and the total breakfast sandwich totals 3 net carbs.
All in all our family is a big fan of these drop biscuits for our keto alternative.
Keto Red Eye Gravy
I am sure many of you are wondering what red-eye gravy is, and if it is any good.
First of all, this is a delicious gravy to enjoy with country ham. The flavors go together perfectly, and the gravy makes the ham shine. Country ham is cured with salt in a much different way than standard brined ham. This leaves the country ham with a much saltier taste. The subtle sweetness of red-eye gravy balances out the salt of the ham perfectly.
When I was doing my research on redeye gravy I came upon this blog by Feast and Farm. I loved their write up on the do’s and don’ts of redeye gravy. I have included it for you just in case you want to learn a little more about this sauce before trying this keto redeye gravy recipe.
When we hear gravy we usually expect a thick and heavy sauce. However, red-eye gravy is a nice thin gravy that adds a little extra flavor to country ham. In this recipe, the red-eye gravy brings this entire dish together.
All in all red-eye gravy and country ham are a match made in heaven for keto drop biscuits.
These easy keto ham breakfast sandwiches are just to die for.
For Keto Country Ham Biscuits and Red Eye Gravy you need:
- Kawaii Treats and Eats drop biscuit mix.
- Clifty Farms Country Ham Biscuit Slices
- Sugar-Free Ketchup
- Keto Safe Sweetener
Make sure you also have a cast iron pan ready for this recipe too.
I absolutely love cooking in a cast-iron skillet. I have 4 different skillet sizes, and my most versatile is this 13″ size.
With my variety of skillet sizes, I have almost eliminated the need for any other pans in our house. This works great for me because we have limited cupboard space, and I no longer want to use pans with a non-stick coating.
You do not need a cast iron pan for this recipe. I just find that cast iron browns the country ham nicely, and reduces the red-eye gravy efficiently. When I researched redeye gravy all the recipe instructions required a cast iron pan. I think this is primarily out of tradition.
If you will not be using cast iron, just make sure to brown the country ham well on both sides. Also, don’t forget to scrape all the delicious drippings from the bottom of whatever pan you use into the gravy.
Notes For This Recipe:
- If you can’t find country ham in your area, use thinly sliced ham.
- Use caffeinated coffee or decaf.
- Do not use coffee ground, use either freshly brewed coffee or leftover brewed coffee.
- Add the sweetener to taste, or leave it out completely. I would especially recommend leaving out the sweetener if you can’t find unsweetened ketchup in your area. We buy our G Hughes Sugar-Free Ketchup from Walmart.
- 6 ounces Clifty Farm's Country Ham Biscuit Slices
- 2 ounces or 1/4 cup of brewed black coffee
- 2 ounces or 1/4 cup or water
- 1 tbsp of sugar free ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp- 1 tbsp of keto friendly sweetener.
- 2 tbsp butter
Keto Country Ham Biscuits
- 1 bag of Kawaii Treats and Eats drop biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped Clifty Farms Country Ham Biscuit Slices
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated cheese (I used mozzarella)
- 1 finely chopped green onion
Start by preparing the biscuits as directed on the packaging.
- Add the 1/4 cup of chopped ham, cheese, and green onions.
- Bake as directed.
Country Ham and Keto Red Eye Gravy
- While the biscuits are in the oven warm a cast-iron skillet on medium-low to medium heat.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in the skillet.
- Fry the country ham slices in the skillet for approximately 2-3 minutes a side until the ham browns.
- Once both sides of the country ham are browned remove them from the pan.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and melt. Once the butter is melted add the coffee, water, ketchup, and sweetener.
- Whisk all the ingredients together, and scrape any of the bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the gravy for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the country ham back into the gravy and coat both sides with the red eye gravy.
- Slice the biscuits in half.
- Assemble your ham and biscuit breakfast sandwiches.
That's all that there is to this recipe. This is one of the easiest breakfast recipes and has become a staple in our keto house.
The biscuit mix is optional for this recipe, but I highly recommend trying these drop biscuits at some point.
Substitute the biscuits with your favorite biscuit recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 25gCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 3gFiber: 4gProtein: 12g
brilliantlyketo.com offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from multiple online calculators. Although all attempts to provide accurate nutritional information have been made, these figures are only estimates as products and ingredients macros vary.